The ProgrammeThe WoodlandsLocation MapEventsNewsSchoolsChildrenInteractiveFeedback
The ProgrammeFuelling a Revolution
More information - Treeton Wood
  visiting the wood
  landforms, rocks and soils
  history and heritage
  plants and trees
  vegetation
  birds and animals
  educational use
  woodland restoration and
   management work

TREETON WOOD
ROTHERHAM

Treeton Wood is situated between Treeton and Aughton, 6 kilometres south of the centre of Rotherham and not far from Ulley Country Park. It is the largest semi-natural woodland in the local area and a prominent feature in the local landscape, providing a wooded backdrop to the village of Treeton.

In common with nearby Hail Mary Hill and Falconer Woods, Treeton Wood is a semi-natural woodland of ancient origin, meaning that it has been in existence for at least the last 400 years. It is first mentioned, in a document dating from around 1600, as a coppice woodland belonging to the 7th Earl of Shrewsbury, and is also mentioned in various other historical documents which make reference to both coppicing and the sale of oak bark for local use in the tanning of leather.

Treeton Wood from Hail Mary Hill
The western edge of Treeton Wood viewed across fields from Hail Mary Hill Wood.

The majority of the site is dominated by dry, acid woodland with a mixture of young Birch and Oak. Along Treeton Brook, which defines the south-eastern edge of the wood, there is a strip of damper and more nutrient-rich woodland, characterised by a mixture of Elm and Wych Elm. There are also a number of small clearings of various sizes, occupied by acid grassland. The site supports a good range of plant and animals, several of which are nationally rare.

Other nearby Heritage Woodlands are:


backBack to Topback